1400 NORTHUMBERLAND STREET, AYR, ONTARIO NOB 1E0
(519) 632-7413 1-800-265-8792 fax: (519) 632-8908
127th Annual General Meeting
TAKE NOTICE that an Annual General Meeting of the Members of Ayr Farmers Mutual Insurance Company will be held virtually using a Zoom Webinar format on the 5th day of March, 2021 at the hour of 2:00 p.m. for the purposes of:
1) To receive, consider and approve the annual statements for the year ending December 31st, 2020;
2) To appoint auditors for 2021;
3) To elect one director for a one (1) year term. With the resignation of Brian Sayles prior to the end of the term for which he was elected, a vacancy was created. The vacancy, in accordance with Article 27 of the Corporation’s Bylaw, was filled by Brad Sayles, duly qualified and appointed by the remaining directors. The Bylaw further states that at the next Annual General Meeting an election shall be held to fill the vacancy for the portion of the term still unexpired. The term for this vacancy shall expire in 2022. Brad Sayles is eligible for election; and
4) To elect two directors for a three (3) year term. The members will be asked to elect two Directors for a period of three years, the retiring directors being Cathy Formica and Jason Vernooy. Both are eligible for re-election.
In accordance with Bylaw #5 Section 20.e) the nominees eligible for election to the Board are Brad Sayles for a one (1) year term; Cathy Formica and Jason Vernooy for a three (3) year term.
By order of the Board of Directors, dated at Ayr, Ontario, this 18th day of December 2020.
The annual statement will be made available on the website of Ayr Farmers Mutual no later than 21 days prior to the Annual General Meeting. A member may obtain a copy of the annual statement by sending a written request to the head office at least 14 days prior to the Annual General Meeting.
Paula McMahon, Corporate Secretary
Any person wishing to seek election or re-election as a Director must file their intention to stand for election in writing with the Corporate Secretary before 12:00 noon, at least ninety (90) days in advance of the Annual General Meeting. Forms are available from the Corporate Secretary at the Head Office during regular business hours.
In accordance with the Corporations Act Schedule 2, Special Rules During Emergency, Meeting for Corporations, the Ayr Farmers Mutual Annual General Meeting will be hosted virtually using a Zoom Webinar format. The only option to attend the Annual General Meeting is by using an internet-connected device to connect to Zoom. There is no option to join in person or on the phone. Pre-registration is required.
Please go to https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_BszQ6f8vQbSArHPkCVmUNQ to register on or before Thursday, March 4th, 2021 at 12 noon. You will be required to register with your name, mailing address, email address and your Ayr Farmers Mutual policy numbers. Once your registration has been approved, you will receive an email containing a link to the meeting. You should be prepared to join the meeting up to 15 minutes prior to the start time to allow for connectivity.
For more information around this year’s virtual Annual General Meeting, including how to access technical support, please refer to the About tab, AGM on the Company’s website at www.ayrmutual.com/about/agm.html
Technical Support for attending the Annual General Meeting on Zoom:
- The only option to attend the Annual General Meeting is by using an internet-connected device to connect to Zoom. There is no option to join in person or on the phone.
- Zoom webinar can be accessed through a wide variety of devices, for a full list of devices and technical requirements for each see: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362023-System-requirements-for-Windows-macOS-and-Linux
- For questions about using Zoom or other common questions see: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/206175806
- If you have any other questions about the Annual General Meeting or using Zoom, please email AGM@Ayrmutual.com and someone will respond within 1 business day.
MINUTES OF THE 126th ANNUAL MEETING
Friday, March 6th, 2020
Held at the Ayr Farmers Mutual Head Office, 1400 Northumberland Street, Ayr, Ontario
It was duly MOVED, SECONDED, and CARRIED that Dave Thompson be declared elected as Chair for this meeting.
The Chair called the meeting to order at 2:02 p.m.
As there was a quorum present, the Chair declared the meeting properly called and properly constituted for the transaction of business.
To support the Board’s focus on governance and their desire to hold an effective and informative Annual General Meeting, Mr. Thompson informed the members that Corporate Secretary Dave Paterson will act as Parliamentarian for today’s meeting.
The Chair called upon Corporate Secretary Dave Paterson to explain that today’s meeting will be governed by ‘Roberts Rules of Order’. Mr. Paterson outlined the assembly rules.
Mr. Paterson read the notice of meeting that appeared in the Ayr News on Tuesday, February 4th, 2020, and Tuesday, February 11th, 2020, and as made available on the Ayr Farmers Mutual website.
The Chair asked for a motion to have the minutes accepted as recorded and as made available on the Ayr Farmers Mutual website.
It was duly MOVED, SECONDED, and CARRIED that the minutes of the 125th Annual Meeting of the corporation be accepted as recorded and as made available on the Ayr Farmers Mutual website.
Mr. Thompson provided the members with the Report from the Board which highlighted the Company’s continued support in the communities through donations; the continued support to post-secondary education of Policyholder’s children through the Ayr Farmers Mutual Scholarship Program; the approval of the Company’s Strategic Plan; areas of focus relating to governance; the implementation of the new core software; and the Refund from Surplus.
The Chair called upon President & CEO Jeff Whiting to provide the President’s Address.
Mr. Whiting provided a report on the activities of 2019 that included comparisons over the previous year and reviewed the Company’s Vision and Mission statements that were revisited and rediscovered in 2019.
The Chair called on Treasurer Dave Paterson to present the Financial Report.
Mr. Paterson provided the members with an update on the financial position and statement of comprehensive income of the organization. Mr. Paterson then took questions from the membership.
It was duly MOVED, SECONDED and CARRIED that the Treasurer’s Report be accepted as presented to the membership.
The Chair requested a motion for the appointment of the auditor, Graham Mathew Professional Corporation of Cambridge, Ontario.
It was duly MOVED, SECONDED, and CARRIED that the firm of Graham Mathew Professional Corporation, Chartered Accountants of Cambridge, Ontario, be appointed as auditors for the year 2020.
As required by the Company’s Bylaw, there is to be an election for two directors for a three-year term. The Chair called upon Corporate Secretary Dave Paterson to read the nomination forms that had been received in the prescribed time frame; those being from Dave Thompson and Elizabeth Baldwin.
The Chair called upon Cathy Formica, Chair of the Nominating Committee to provide the Nominating Committee Report and Recommendation.
As the nominations had been filed within the prescribed time frame, the Corporate Secretary declared Dave Thompson and Elizabeth Baldwin acclaimed to the Board of Directors for a three-year term.
Incumbents Dave Thompson and Elizabeth Baldwin addressed the membership.
As all business on the agenda was complete, Mr. Thompson thanked everyone for attending and requested a motion to adjourn the meeting.
It was duly MOVED, SECONDED, and CARRIED that the meeting stands adjourned at 2:52 p.m.